I first applied for this grant in 2005 for a fellowship to Switzerland, France, and Italy. I wanted to see European classrooms and visit the locations where the fairy tales were written plus find materials in museums for my arts integration. I wrote my second grant to attend a puppetry course I had on my list to do "some day, one day" for over 10 years.
Here are a few snapshots from my trips:
kindergarten classroom in Switzerland
first grade classroom in Switzerland
Visiting museums in Paris, France
Learning to make marionettes in California
Hand dyeing silks for puppet making!
- Ask yourself: What experience would ignite my teaching life? What professional development have you secretly wanted to take but could never justify spending the money on?
- Dream big and be unreasonable! Go for the big ideas!
- Write from your passion. And be authentic.
- Look to see how your passion could benefit your community and school. A great idea will always have an impact!
- Be willing to just go for it and fail trying. My first application was written just days before the deadline.
Final thoughts to ponder:
- Your family can travel with you on your adventure. The grant will NOT pay for their travel expenses. I repeat, it will not pay for your family's travel expenses BUT it is okay if they stay in your hotel room, ride in your car, eat from your plate. . . My husband flew to Paris and spent 4 days with me. It was heaven.
The one you design. . .