1. Branch Weaving
From A Sense of Wonder
This is such rocking idea!
2. Mesh Weaving
I am in love with this piece. This so happening in January!
3. Paper Plate Weaving
From Fine Little Day
This is a must see blog! So cool. Love this project!
There is an instruction link on at this link.
4. Hula Hoop Weaving
From Family Fun
I love, love, love Family Fun. I subscribe to the magazine and can count on tons of great ideas just like this one. So making this with my kinders. Maybe they can bring old t-shirts. . . . recycle idea!
Circular Cardboard Weaving
From How We Montessori
I love this blog. Her photos are heavenly. Kylie has provided this adaptation to the circular loom which can be kinda daunting for young ones. This is brilliant! Thank you Kylie!
A FEW BENEFITS OF WEAVING WITH YOUNG CHILDREN:
- builds fine motor skill (pincer grasp)
- aids visual tracking
- building eye/hand coordination
- strengthens the muscles used in pincer grip
- physical experience of spatial concepts of up, over, and under
- helps in using both the dominant and non-dominant hands at the same time
- weaving involves crossing the midline
- the list goes on and on!
- Mathematics - Kindergarten - Geometry:
- K.G. 1. Describe the relative position using terms such as above, below, beside, in front of, behind and next to.
- K.G. 5 Model shapes in the world by building shapes from components (e.g. sticks and clay balls).
Try a weaving project in your classroom this year and see the fairy dust fly!!