This is my favorite recipe for gingerbread play-dough. It smells wonderful and provides the perfect play during our Gingerbread Boy unit.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 Tb. cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Spices--Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cloves
Use Green and Red food coloring to make the dough brown (I like Wilton's Brown Food Dye)
1. Mix the dry ingredients adding the spices until you get a good level of scent.
2. Mix water and oil together and add them to the dry ingredients. Stir.
3. In a pan, cook the mixture for three to five minutes on lowheat, stirring constantly.
4. The dough will start to pull away from the sides of the pot and stick together in a large ball. I like to push the dough out and flat and let it cook. It will look like it is too sticky. Let it cook a bit.
5. Take the dough out of the pan and knead the dough until it becomes smooth. (I like to mix it in my Kitchen Aid with the bread hook. I drop it in while it is still warm. It makes it perfect!!!)
6. Allow the dough to cool before using. Store in an airtight container.